I tried to watch both of the episodes on Monday, but the Modern Family has expired. Thus, I have to answer the questions from the Glee.
The clip shows the heteronomaticity in three ways: One is that the boys kiss girls and want to have sex with them. The other is the teacher ask boys and girls into two groups by gender. Finally is the girl-like boy is always bullied by that strong guy. In the clip,we can see generally two stereotypes which are natrual/deviant, and gender clarity/gender anbiguity. As the social mainstream rule, heterosexuality is regarded 'normal'. Thus, I would say in the clip, the boys intimate with girls on bed is natural. On the other hand, one guy is kind of deviant in sexuality. The other stereotype is gender clarity/gender ambiguity. The African American with special hair style is obviously strong and dominated. I think the gender of his is very clear from 10 minutes episodes of Glee, including he asks everybody to pay for the singing performance. But the deviant guy what I mentioned before is kind of gender ambiguous. What I have one more to say is that the blonde hair boy 'beast'. Actually I don't understand the meaning of beast here quite well. Does that mean the boy imagine having sex with a beast? Or having sex with a girl like a beast? If the truth is like what I think, then the blonde hair guy is gender ambiguous as well. What the teacher does to ask students split into two groups by gender is the link between what talking about in book and in the clip. I think there are two completely opposite ideas about making groups like that. I think that this way reinforces the heterosexuality, because each person is absolutely clear his gender which means if I am in the boy group, it means I am a boy. When somebody is clear on his gender, generally he is also clear about what sexuality he is seeking for. Another reason is that boys are working with boys, girls are working with girls all the time. As a result, they know nothing about the opposite gender. Due to the instinct of human's curiosity, they will try to know the other gender. Thus, I think that is a reinforcement of heterosexuality. I think this video portrays sexuality as a personal identity. Because each person in the clip has his individual interest on sexuality. I think sexuality portrayal should be personal. I think the sexuality interest on different people differing from another a lot depends on the environment. Different people has their own environment of growth, so that their sexuality interest cannot be absolutely the same. For example, two boys, they are both homosexual. However, probably the reason leading them to homosexuality is different. One is growing with girls from a kid to adult. He knows everything about girls. When he was a kid, he used to have a shower with girls, sleep with girls. This phonomenon is normal among kids. Due to being together with girls, he will have some girl-characteristics more or less. Thus, when he grows up, he tries to seek for being with boys. This reason leads him to homosexuality. The other boy has a different reasom to be a gay. Probably he was dumped by girls for millions of times. He is disappointed with girls and he feels enough hurt by girls. At the right moment, another boy like a older brother gives him a lot of love and cares. This reason lead him to homosexuality. Thus, different people have different reason to choose their interest of sexuality. Thus, I think the study of sexuality is a personal issue. It's hard to summary it to several reasons. Actually the sexual problem is not only homosexuality and heterosexuality(The following topic is a little bit far from the book). There are other issues about sexuality like pedophilia, mothercomplex, fathercomplex. Thus, the study about the sexuality is super complicated because each person has individual interest and characteristics. The more important, each person has individual experience.
Good post, Haoyi. It's interesting that most psychoanalytic theories about sexuality tend toward deviance as the starting point.
ReplyDeleteBTW, the coach's last name is "Beaste"--which signifies her masculine physical appearance, first of all, but later the term "beast" refers more to her awesome abilities to get things done. So that's some slang.
Also, when you write your posts, you need to use characters' names, even if that means you have to Google it.